Friday 15 October 2010

Foundation Favourites


Flawless Foundation

Friends are always asking my advice on which foundations to buy.

Firstly, it really depends on your skin type.....Everyone has individual needs, so what works for one person may not be right for the next. Knowing where to start can be quite daunting, but I have listed a few of my favourites and added some useful tips to help you create the perfect base for your make-up.

Many people shy away from foundation as they feel it’s too heavy, but there are light formulas out there, that if used sparingly, help to even out the skin tone without creating an unflattering mask.  Foundation should not be applied too heavily; it should blend in with the skin to compliment what is already there and create a flawless finish. If you have blemishes, spots or redness that need extra coverage, then use a concealer. I like to use Bobbi Brown and Becca concealer sticks for this.

If however, you still prefer something lighter, there are some great tinted moisturisers to choose from. My skin is fairly unproblematic, so during the day when I want a really natural finish, I often use my Laura mercier tinted moisturiser or my Giorgio Armani face fabric.


·         When choosing your foundation, rub a little in around your jaw line to check the colour. It should blend in well and not look obvious.
·         Preparing your skin well is essential before foundation. Exfoliate if you have any dry/flaky areas and make sure your skin is well moisturised. This will make your make-up last longer and also appear less heavy.


Mac Face and Body http://www.maccosmetics.co.uk/product/spp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CAT21853&PRODUCT_ID=PROD66138- This is a great foundation that leaves a natural and sheer finish to the skin. You can build it up if you need more coverage and it comes in a wide range of colours. I use it a lot on models and also on myself.
With more mature skin, especially around the eyes, be careful not to apply anything too matt. You need foundations with light reflective formulas. Chanel vitalumier is another one of my favourites. It offers more coverage than the Mac face and body so I tend to wear it in the evening for a more made up look. It leaves a beautiful dewy veil on the skin, however if you have oily skin I would suggest using the Chanel Matt lumiere.

Chanel and Mac are my choice of brands for foundation. However, I also occasionally use
Giorgio Armani -Luminous silk foundation which also has a beautifully natural sheer finish.
I really think it’s worth spending the money on good foundation, however for a cheaper alternative try myface.cosmetics http://www.myfacecosmetics.co.uk, which is quite similar to the Mac face and body.

I use my hands to apply foundation and once it’s settled onto the skin, I use a light translucent powder to dust over the tea zone to get rid of any shine. I love Mac prep and prime and Make-up forever HD translucent powder.

Happy shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment